Friday

Glad and proud to be a part of ParishWorld.net


Dear Publisher:

I have just spent an hour reading selected articles from ParishWorld.net. I have to be totally frank with you. I rarely, if ever do this. I invest a lot of time in the creation and upkeep of the material in the publication, but I rarely read more than what I have to in order to accomplish my mission to the end product. Today, though, I am taking it easy becaue I am trying to get a vicious attack of the gout to subside.

I am impressed. Like a friend of mine yesterday, I am practically left speechless. Decidedly a rarity for me. You can tell that I have since recovered from my initial lingual stricture.
I am all the more in awe of the publication because I know that I was playing around in one third of the "sandbox". I didn't open any if the specific sites maintained by individual parishes. [30 some odd]. I also am not a fan of the audio and video features offered, but I know that this is a highly prized section of ParishWorld.net.

As I sit here I am reminded of the article that I read on the Internet a few weeks ago that reminded us consumers that the vast majority of us use about 2% of the computing power that we own and control. I can't help but think of myself. 1 PC, 2 laptops, 1 Treo and one state of the art 10.1 megapixel, watch pocket sized digital camera with a 2 gigabyte chip, that takes very good video as well.

I split my living arrangements in two, between Moreno Valley and San Diego, but that doesn't stop me from communicating and producing. I have access to the Internet no matter where I go. I spend over one month in Asia Minor and Europe in March and April and never missed a beat. I even contributed a daily blog about my stay in the Holy Land, pictures and all. You saw it all, and can still access it in ParishWorld.net.

It makes me think of what I have been going through for the past 35 or 40 years about the fact that I live in San Diego. The reaction of people who come to find out where I live is invariably, "How lucky! San Diego is sooo beautiful." I know that I made a conscious decision to live in San Diego because of my appreciation for the region.

I admit that I did not make a conscious decision to come to ParishWorld.net because of a deep appreciation for something with which I had become intimately familiar. Nope! It was simply because I am an adventurous and curious person who loves the feel of change and the challenge of conquering the new.

I am one of those people who is married to a woman who never throws a magazine away. Fortunately we only have two hard-copy magazines that come to our home. We have two bathrooms that contain every copy of each one of those magazines that has arrived at our home over the last three years. I don't have that problem with ParishWorld.net. I always know where to find it. If I have an idea about something that I want to look-up, I go to the search engine and "poof!", there I am with more information that I could have anticipated would be there.

It is with totally unabashed pride that I say that I am glad to be here. I can say that Wally's brain child is indeed a beauty of world class quality. I can assure you that once you have tried it and stay with it a while, you'll look forward to having it in your E-mail week after week.


~ Paul Dion, STL , ParishWorld.net Theology Editor

No comments: